The HeartSmart programme has no religious association and is taught in both faith and non-denominational schools across the UK. It is a considered programme that adheres to the values listed below:
- Equality is not always about treating everyone the same – it is about treating people in such a way that the outcome for each pupil can be the same.
- Tolerance is to understand that not everybody is the same and have the willingness to accept this.
- Honesty is being truthful and open at an age appropriate level, which allows pupils to learn and understand.
- Support is to work together with pupils’ families to provide guidance and care for children.
- Respect is valuing each person as an individual of importance, as well as the beliefs of their family and community,
- Empower is to equip children with knowledge to keep them safe, healthy and happy.
- Sensitivity is having an awareness of the feelings of others and responding accordingly.
- Trust is ensuring children have a safe space to learn and discus.
- Empathy is the ability to identify and understand the feelings of others and offer them support.